Saturday, February 26, 2011

Touched

A while back, I recieved a package in the mail. I knew it was coming. I had gotten an email from Stephanie the week before and she wanted my correct address to send it.  Stephanie... (a woman whom I respect, a jewel, and a heart bigger than life).  I met Stephanie thru friends that I see once a year. That is another story in itself.  Stephanie opened up her life to me and the band with open and welcome arms. We stayed with her and JJ when we played for LosCarnales at a benefit in Houston.    
Stephanie & J. J.   got married durring the Sturgis Rallies in 2001.  They came to where we were playing after the wedding.  J.J. was not feeling well the entire trip.  This was not either ones first marriage, but this was the right one for both of them.  Anyone around them could just tell.... magic, happy ever after.    I had known J.J. before I met Stephanie,  he was an individual among individuals.. ;).  The only guy I know that went out of his way to have cappuccino at the campground waiting for me.... the only guy I know that wore a satin robe at a campsite that resembled Hugh Hephners... he was special in many ways. He was a good guy... he was a police officer for most of his life.    The day of his wedding to Steph, he pulled me aside to have a moment... He said a few things that I will never forget.  He told me that he knew what was going on and why he didn't feel well.  He said he did not want to dwell on it, but he wanted me to know for some reason.  He said, he loved his new bride with all his heart and he had wanted more for her than what was going to happen. He needed more time, but was thinking that it was going to be short.  He then informed me what he was talking about.  He had been diagnosed with cancer 10 years before and had been in remission.  It was back.  He took my hand and placed it on his chest and told me to press..... as I did, his chest gave in to my touch like a sponge. I could not believe that this strong man before me, had this happening. At that moment.. I wanted to cry, I was holding his arm and touching his chest. I  believe that the only reason I didn't fall down is because he was holding me with his arm...   He was telling me this as a friend and in his own way, saying not to worry and saying goodbye... knowing that I only see them once a year.   At that moment in time, his new bride who was oblivious to it all.... called our names and said.. SMILE FOR THE CAMERA!.... She took the picture. I was still trying to maintain.    Since that time.. J.J. has passed away after a long fight. Stephanie was with him thru it all and still is.  She still goes to his grave site very regularly. She has tried to keep living as normal as can be.. but there will never be another person like J.J. for her.    Their love still lives... and life goes on.  We all miss J.J. but the impact of loss for her.. I can not imagine.  Stephanie and I have talked, hugged and cried together since things all happened.  She told me of a picture that was of me and J.J. that she got on the wedding day... I was wondering if it was that moment..... I recieved the picture. It was that moment.   It is captured in time.... She sent it in a frame that is on my desk now.  It is on my mind, and I share it now with you.....
                                            We love you and miss you.  PorVida XXOO 
P.I.P.  J. J. 

No comments:

Post a Comment